Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Reading Notes

Wikipedia article on database:
I found this article to be very helpful since we are discussing databases in my other classes.  A library database seems to be a fusion of several different types of databases since libraries use integrated systems and often include the holdings of other branches. 

"Introduction to Metadata" by Anne J. Gilliland
I found this article to be very helpful, too, since metadata is also a topic in my other classes.  One thing I found interesting is how the author notes that the creation of metadata used to be reserved to information professionals, but now ordinary people are creating metadata on the Web through tagging.  I've worked as a cataloger before and also tagged items on my own websites, so I have a personal view of both the professional and layperson methods used to create metadata.  I found the rules of cataloging to be downright strange sometimes -- and not overtly helpful to the end user -- so I am interested in the role that tagging may take on as it becomes a more accepted way of labelling items or websites. 
Another thing I found interesting was when the author noted that different communities in academics have different metadata languages and standards.  This is an example of how different disciplines in academics have barriers that inhibit them from communicating with each other.  As the Internet increases collaboration between different disciplines, it will be interesting to see if a common, shared metadata standard develops to enhance interdisciplinary communication. 

"An Overview of the Dublin Core Data Model" by Eric J. Miller
I enjoyed reading this because I keep hearing about Dublin Core but I was never really sure what it was.  I'm not a tech savy person, but I get the basics of Dublin Core as a means of cataloging electronic resources. 

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that these are the readings for October 4. He switched the class topics for Sept. 27 and Oct. 4 because he will be out of town. The updated syllabus is in CourseWeb!

    ReplyDelete