Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Reading Notes

Wikipedia article on Data Compression + Data Compression Basics article:
All of this was new to me.  I have, of course, heard of compressing data, but I never had it explained to me before.  Though I didn't understand everything I read in these articles, I feel like I get the basic idea.  On a side note, the more I read about computers in this class, the more they seem like magical things.  I used to use computers without thinking much about them, but now I am beginning to appreciate just how amazing they are!

Paula L. Webb on YouTube in libraries:
I love the idea of libraries using YouTube to promote themselves.  It seems that if public libraries are to survive, they need to take advantage of new technology instead of feeling threatened by it.  Using YouTube is a great way to connect with people through a venue that they appreciate and think is fun.  Also, since users are accessing content from home using online library services, I'm now wondering how much libraries can start to put other services, such as programs, online through video services.  There are so many possibilities.  It will do us well if we keep an open mind. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on the use of YouTube...the possibilities really are endless. YouTube is such a familiar thing with such a wide range of people, and so I think it can be used in some pretty neat and interactive ways. If people see the public library as a place that promotes and utilizes technology to better reach people and serve the community, the chances of survival (I think at least) are quite good. It's amazing how far-reaching something as simple as a short video can be in our world today.

    -Rachel Nard

    ReplyDelete